Thursday, October 6, 2011

How can I store my car overnight during the winter without a garage?

I live in Minnesota and during the winter my car doors tend to freeze overnight. The car itself doesn't run as well either after a night in the cold. I'm wondering if there is something I can buy or build to store my car overnight to prevent this, because I can't park it in a garage.
How can I store my car overnight during the winter without a garage?
Use a silicone lubricant on the rubber gaskets of your doors - this will help prevent adhesion of the ice to the rubber, reducing the %26quot;frozen stuck%26quot; effect. Rub the stuff into the seals with a paper towel, and occasionally re-apply during the winter.



Use the rated oil for your application - preferably a low cold weight synthetic oil, which will have the tendency to lubricate faster and be lighter in extreme cold temperatures.



Except for the doors, the poor-running is a cold phenomena. If you're still having issues with poor starting/running after an extreme cold overnight and you're close to a power outlet, you can buy either a heated engine blanket or dipstick oil heater - both of which will help start up by warming the engine prior to starting.
How can I store my car overnight during the winter without a garage?
I agree on the above answers saying about the waterproof tarp and the lubricant. Both methods are the best way to secure your car during winter.
try one of those cloth tarps that are water resistant and have elastic around it so it hugs your car. that should keep the frost out of your doors. some fuel treatment or starting fluid might help too for really cold starts.
put up a portable garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment