Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How long does a car battery last?

I live in the cold northern part of the country and I need a good strong battery to start my car on really cold mornings. My car is five years old and has the original battery in it. I wondered if I should replace this battery, but I don't want to waste the money if it's not necessary.
How long does a car battery last?
depending on what type of vehicle you have is how long the battery is going to last you. with hondas and acuras they tend to last 2 to 3 years. IF your having problems starting the car then i would say to replace it. but if your not you can take it to your local dealer and have them complete and charging and starting system report of your car. that report test the battery alternator and starter. just to make sure that everything is working to specifications as well as can give you some insight on how much battery life you have left.
How long does a car battery last?
I have been debating changing my car battery for the past 3 years. It is a Durolast battery and is the orginal battery in my car. The battery is 9 years old and works perfect still. I could have changed my battery 4 years ago when it was 5 years old...

Report Abuse


If it starts why replace it?
maybe 5 years. that's the point where I'd be thinking about it.



But if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If it's not working then you should change it, but try and insulate the car from the cold to keep it warm.
I've seen batteries die after one year, and I've seen others last more than 10 years. You may want to take your car to a parts store and have them test the battery for you - that's the only way you'll know for sure.
i was going to say about 5 years

yes i would replace i live in desert and extreme weather conditions are hard on batteries and tires and that expensive serpentine belt always keeps me guessing !
I replace mine every five years, even if it is still working. You're going to have to buy one anyway; why wait to buy it when you are stranded? When it might not be on sale and they might charge you a huge fee to come out at midnight on a holiday to put it in?
My car is 7 yrs old, original battery, but think I will have to get a new 1 soon, having said that my Sister-in law had her car 13 yrs, still had the original 1 but last year it died.
if its not bro-ck don't fix it.
Usually they should last about 3 years. If you have had yours for 5 years, I would consider replacing it before the weather gets cold. For some reason they seem to die when the weather turns really cold.
Mine lasted as long as the last one. But that one was flat,the new one is oblong. Hope i have helped.
a good rule of thumb is 5 years. When you purchase the battery, it is written right on it how long it is good for.
It is time to replace it. Don't take any chances with it. For the price of a battery it's not worth getting stranded. One thing I do not fool with is the battery and tires. I want to make sure it starts and also rolls. Your best bet. For around $60.
Car batteries are like any other product. You get what you pay for. You can spend thirty bucks and get a 36 month battery, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want a battery you can depend on. Where you live, you need to pay attention to the CCA (cold cranking amps), the higher the bettter. I suggest an Optima battery. It'll set you back about $140.00, but believe me, it's well worth the investment. I've had one Optima for eight years and it's still going strong.
old wise tell..... if its not broke dont fix it..... and 3 to 5 yrs is the normal..... if and when it does let you down then get one..... are easy to replace and can be done by anyone and always spend the money and buy a good brandname one they do out last the cheaper ones
You can have it %26quot;load tested%26quot; at the auto store, but why take a chance with an old battery. An emergency road service will cost the price of a new battery not to speak of the risks of breaking down somewhere and having an accident as a result. The average life of typical lead acid batteries is less than 5 years if you were to measure the additional load the battery is forcing the alternator to work against. My opinion is that you may shorten the life of your alternator by forcing it to charge up an old battery. Then you'll need a new battery as well as a new alternator!!
6 minutes
  • advice and suggestions
  • windows live
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment